Since so many people are making the Turtleneck Shrug for their pals, and since I'd be a fool to think you all read my blog, I thought I better cross-post some info over here about my own progress, on the shrug for Winnie.
I have finished the first sleeve and shoulder, and I have about 4" on the second sleeve done so far. Winnie picked a wonderful yarn that is just a tiny bit tricky sometimes.
The most difficult thing for me so far was binding off for the underarm in a neat fashion, and this probably has a lot to do with the fact that I decided to use a 12" Addi Turbo circular. Addis are generally not my favorite needle brand but I couldn't find any other 12" needles at the time, and I was *not* doing all that ribbing on DPNs!
So, my saga of getting that underarm and shoulder just right:
-First I made the switch to DPNs for the underarm bindoff (including one needle a couple sizes larger to keep the BOs from being too tight)
-Then I went back to the 12″ for the decrease rows (where the sleeve is still a "C" shape and not easily knit flat)
-Then back to only two dpns, with needle caps on them as you see in the photo, for the rest of the shoulder. Phew.
As a continental knitter (yarn in left hand) I like knitting on circulars most of the time, but every now and then when I have a small enough piece I'll take two DPNs and put rubber needle caps on their ends, and knit on those like regular straight needles. Then I'm not poking myself or my cat or anybody else nearby!
That's all for now.