stitch ya neck out: Season reversal

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Season reversal

Meg’s scarf is done!

Well, sort of.

Because Meg substituted yarn (Australia’s own Checkheaton 8-ply in place of Jaeger Matchmaker DK), and there was a yardage discrepancy, 5 full skeins later, Meg’s scarf is only 43” long. The pattern calls for a scarf that’s 61” long, which would take two more skeins of wool to complete.

Meg and I decided that when I used up all the wool, I would place the stitches on a holder and mail this sort-of-FO back to her so she could potentially finish knitting the scarf herself. Potentially because she may decide 43” is long enough for her purposes. Meg will also block the scarf to conceal any differences two knitters are bound to make while knitting the same object.


The only modification I made to the pattern is to use different, more voluptuous bobbles that required no turning ;). The big bobbles, which are called popcorns in this pattern, are the “simple 5 stitch I-bobbles” straight out of Annie Modesitt’s Confessions of a Knitting Heretic. I intended the small bobbles to be the 3-stitch version from the same book, but misread the directions, so they’re slightly different. Oops! And because numbers are fun, I counted that I've knit 60 popcorns, 75 bobbles, and crossed 948 cables.

Would you be shocked if I told you that this is one of my favorite patterns EVER?!? The bobbles, the cables, the texture… How often do you come across a technically-challenging pattern that's also easy to memorize and strikes the right balance between boring and mind-boggling? This is IT. And every time I whipped out this scarf in the presence of other knitters - oohing and aahing, I kid you not.

So, I would knit this again in a heartbeat. How’s that for endorsement?

Meg, your scarf (along with instructions about picking up where I left off) will be on its way shortly.

1 Comments:

At 15 September, 2005 00:55, Blogger Meg said...

If someone says they've done 948 cable crossings and they STILL come up with a pattern endorsement like that, I think I'll have to aim for a 79" scarf (4 extra balls of yarn) so I get to experience the excitement of this pattern for myself!
It looks absolutely lovely. A million thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home