stitch ya neck out: For Anna

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

For Anna

Well lookie here, what's that? Oh a finished Backyard Leaves Scarf for Anna!

Backyard Leaves -SYNO

Materials: 3.25 balls of Knitpicks Merino Style (DK weight) in Petal (123 yds/ 50gms), Sz 5 needles

Notes: I've always wondered about Knitpicks' 100% merino yarn and lucky for me, Anna happened to choose this yarn for her SYNO scarf. This yarn is soft, albeit a bit halo-ish when knit up, but is delightful to work with. The original pattern used a worsted weight yarn and Sz 7 needles, and since my original attempts with sz 6 seemed a bit holey, I dropped down to sz 5's. The resulting scarf is drapey and soft, and I hope Anna likes it. It's my first attempt at knitting for another fellow knitter, so I hope the results are up to par. The book does not tell you how to graft the two halves together other than telling you to match the leaf veins -- which I found impossible to do. The 10 CO sts in the beginning were done provisionally, so in the end I just put those 10 sts back on the needle and picked up the 5 additional sts from the 3rd row and kitchener stitched it. Since I have no shame, here's the grafted portion. Before blocking, the scarf looked very 3D. I kinda liked it the way it was, but that would be a pain to wear. So in the end, it became the 2D version after blocking.

Anna, I hope you like it. If not, let me know what I could have done better to improve it so my next participation in swapping knitted items with other knitters will be better!

2 Comments:

At 22 September, 2005 17:52, Blogger Heidi said...

So beautiful Winnie!

I still have about 2/5 (less than half, but more than 1/3) to go on your shrug. I hope after I move this weekend I'll be able to focus on it more...because I will have no job!

Anyway your Backyard Leaves is very pretty. Your pal will love it I'm sure!

 
At 24 September, 2005 23:27, Blogger Anna said...

Winnie--wow!!! Amazing! Talk about lickety-split knitting. Thanks a million, I can't wait to wear it. It's just starting to get slightly chilly here, I know it will arrive just in time.

Cheers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home